Sitting around the kitchen table talking to my mom is one of my favorite memories growing up.
She wasn’t always the mom that would get on the floor and play with us, but she was always there for a good conversation. Even as an adult, I would go over to my mom’s every Saturday afternoon, sit at the kitchen table and talk to her for hours.
Now that she is gone, I carry her life lessons with me. Here are some of the ones I keep close at heart.
- Never dumb yourself down for a boy. If he can’t handle an intelligent woman, he doesn’t deserve you.
- You are small enough. Never shrink yourself for someone else’s comfort.
- You are allowed to grow, even if that means growing apart from some of your friends.
- Say sorry when you hurt someone. Never say sorry for taking up space.
- All the love in the world won’t change someone who doesn’t want to change.
- A man’s demons are not yours to fight.
- When looking for a boyfriend, a man with a job should be right up there with a man that is breathing.
- Saying no does not make you a bad person.
- Everyone: family, friends, coworkers, are going to talk about you. You will probably talk about them too. It doesn’t always make them bad people.
- Sometimes the best response to an argument is silence.
- But don’t let someone else’s silence make you question your worth.
- Never determine your worth by how other people see you.
- True strength is being able to forgive, every when there is no apology.
- Self-love is the most important love, until you experience a mother’s love.
- Being kind is always more important than being right.
- Never sacrifice your class for someone who has none. Take the high road….always.
- It is okay to be angry. It is never okay to be cruel.
- If you have a handful of friends that care about you, then you are lucky. Take care of your handful.
- Fierce lady friendships are the best friendships to have.
- But always keep one good guy friend around to keep you grounded.
- There is good in everyone….find it.
- Your mom is your best friend, call her every day.
- You are beautiful, you are special. Your presence lights up the room. Don’t let anyone take your light away.
- Keep your standards high. Don’t settle just because you are afraid of being alone.
- Always keep a tool box and a Bible in your house.
- Never fall in love with potential. You will be sorely disappointed when he doesn’t reach it.
- You don’t have to apologize for your messy parts, but you can’t use them as an excuse to not become better.
- You can’t take care of other people if you don’t take care of yourself.
- If you need an escape, pick up a book.
- You should never stop growing…or learning.
- When you have kids, it is up to you to build a relationship with them when they are young. When they are adults, it is up to them to maintain that relationship.
- Just because he doesn’t love you, it does not mean you are unlovable.
- The secret to life is to make it easier on other people.
Mom, I love you and miss you.