I love my child more than anything. But I’m an a**hole parent for many, many reasons…according to her tantrums.
1. I tell my child the snacks are all gone, but I have more in my room.
2. I eat the last cookie after bed time.
3. I say the playground, pool, play area, etc, is closed, so we don’t have to go.
4. I say places are closing when I want to leave.
5. I don’t give my child water after 7 pm, so she doesn’t wake up to pee.
6. I turn off the TV after watching a movie or show on repeat for a few hours.
7. I don’t switch the movie or show fast enough.
8. I make nuggets because she asked for them.
9. I couldn’t find the toy she wanted to play with at that very moment.
10. I don’t understand want she wanted because she used the wrong word.
11. I told her to stop getting out of her bed for the millionth time.
12. I make her put her covers on herself.
13. I want her to pee in the potty, not her tent or not next to the potty.
14. I say no more juice, chocolate milk, etc.
15. I remind her she finished the snacks, juice, milk, etc.
I have come to the conclusion; it’s ok to be an a**hole parent. I need some kind of sanity in my life, right? Also, I need to set boundaries of some sort.
A few tantrums aren’t going to hurt her. I like to tell myself that…at least as I go through her childhood. The teenage years get better, right?